Executive Director of the Puerto Rico Tourism Company (PRTC), Ingrid I. Rivera Rocafort, announced the launch of La Ruta de la Salsa, or The Salsa Route. Created by PRTC certified tour guide Clemente de Freitas, this route aims to provide both local and international tourists an in-depth look at the salsa music genre, honoring past legends such as Héctor Lavoe, Ismael Rivera and Cheo Feliciano.
“This route is the answer for all tourists and salsa lovers who come to Puerto Rico in search of information about the roots and history of the Island’s beloved salsa music,” said Rivera Rocafort. “This niche audience will be thrilled to dive into the world of salsa with activities such as tours led by PRTC’s certified guides, which focus on places where Puerto Rican salsa originated and made history.”
La Ruta de la Salsa will include destinations such as La Placita de Santurce, Plaza de Los Salseros and Villa Palmera Cemetary, where several prominent salsa dancers were buried. Additionally, travelers will visit Puerto Rico’s most famous salsa record shop, La Cerra Musical, as well as social locations such as Nuyorican Café, Luna Street and Trastalleres, popular amongst salsa dancers.
Salsa is the most influential and lively music genre in Puerto Rico. Although it originated in New York in the 1960s, salsa was cultivated in Puerto Rico and then expanded throughout the world. Salsa legends such as La Sonora Ponceña and Gran Combo de Puerto Rico helped make salsa a national staple within the Puerto Rican culture.
PRTC’s certified tour guides are happy to talk to those interested in La Ruta de la Salsa. Please refer to the contact list below.
• CL Tours - T. 787.414.2025 email@example.com
• Leopoldo Rosso - T. 787.210.2096 firstname.lastname@example.org
• Héctor Sánchez - T. 787.960.3060 email@example.com
• Salvador Castro - T. 787.638.3755 firstname.lastname@example.org
• Astacio Santiago - T. 787.344.9133 email@example.com
• Alexis Agostini - T. 787.459.5880 firstname.lastname@example.org
• Omar Ruiz - T. 787.391.0706 email@example.com
• Félix González -T. 787.717.5963 firstname.lastname@example.org
• Modesto Velázquez -T. 787.219.9829 email@example.com
• Rafael Quiles - T. 787.566.0611 firstname.lastname@example.org
• Anthony Negrón - T.939.640.8080 email@example.com
• Christopher Vélez - T.787.550.3223 firstname.lastname@example.org
• Angel Bula - T. 939.640.2659 email@example.com
• Marcos Hurtado - T.787.448.4616
• Kenneth Rodríguez - T. 787.485.0337 firstname.lastname@example.org
• Nelson Oliveras - T. 787.996-4491 email@example.com
For travel packages, please contact 787-258-1731